Have you or someone you love ever gone through a hardship or a challenge and you wished you knew just the right words to inspire and encourage them or yourself? My entire 2017 felt that way.
After a year full of challenges, and wishing I knew just the right scripture to apply to a situation, I decided I want to be better equipped in 2018 and beyond. And that’s exactly the plan – to memorize scripture so I’m ready to speak truth to any lies that the enemy decides to throw my way. I posted about my intentions on social media a few weeks ago, and several friends showed interest in joining me, so I thought I’d share some info and how it’s going so far.
One scripture a week is a little too fast-paced for me; I want to really be able to let the words sink in, so I have a created a once every two weeks schedule, along with a list of scriptures that I know will encourage me throughout the year (if you’re interested in joining me, the list is at the bottom of this post). I may change the order based on what I’m dealing with at the time, but so far, it all fits so well!! It just made sense to start the year off with this one:
“For no word from God will ever fail.” Luke 1:37 NIV
When is that scripture ever not encouraging and helpful?? I used it a lot and continue to remind myself when I (in my brattiness) think God’s not moving fast enough.
Since January 14th, and through this Sunday the 28th, I’m focusing on the NLT version of Ephesians 3:12:
I chose that translation because of the vivid visual I get when I recite those words. Because of what Jesus did for me, and because I believe in him, God the Father is not only accessible, we are able to just breeze right into his presence. The office door is not shut. We do not have to knock. Matter of fact, he’s eagerly anticipating our coming to him. He can’t wait to see us and hear what we have to say.
I love how I can use both of these scriptures in my life daily. Ephesians 3:12 reminds me that God not only wants relationship with me (so much that he sent his only son to make that possible), he’s got the door wide open, waiting for us to crawl up in his lap and just be his kids. Knowing I am welcome in his presence anytime, I am also encouraged to know that it’s a two-way relationship. He speaks to me. And Luke 1:37 tells me that every word He says is truth. Not one word, not one promise will ever fail. He will never fail us.
Posting on my bathroom mirror, on the fridge, and in my car has helped me tremendously in memorization. I always make it a point to stop and read it every time I see it (notice the pic above was taken in my bathroom). I never imagined this would be so rewarding so quickly. I am amazed at how often I find relevance and encouragement each day from the same few words.
If you’d like to join me in memorizing scripture, or you just need some encouragement, these are the scriptures I plan to have memorized by the end of this year. I hope you find them as inspiring as I do!
Scriptures for 2018
A few words about this list –
- This is copied and pasted directly from my list – some punctuation may be missing (don’t judge).
- These are numbered in order of when I plan to memorize them. I’ll probably move them around before it’s all said and done.
- The scripture reference (Book/Chapter/Verse) is listed first, then the text, then the date to start memorizing.
- There are actually 2 scriptures for #4 and #22 – they just went so well together and I wanted to fit them all into one year!
- Luke 1:37 – For no word from God will ever fail. 1/2
- Ephesians 3:12 NLT Because of Christ and our faith in him, we can now come boldly and confidently into God’s presence. 1/14
- 2 Corinthians 4:18 So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal. 1/28
- Numbers 11:14 I cannot carry all these people by myself; the burden is too heavy for me. Psalm 68:19 Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens 2/11
- Philippians 2:5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: 2/25
- Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. 3/11
- Isaiah 53:5 But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed. 3/25
- 1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 4/8
- Proverbs 16:3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans. 4/22
- Psalm 139:16 Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. 5/6
- 1 Corinthians 14:33a For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. 5/20
- Psalm 34:5 Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame. 6/3
- Zephaniah 3:17 The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.” 6/17
- James 4:7 Submit yourselves, therefore, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 7/1
- Isaiah 30:21 Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it.” 7/15
- Exodus 4:12 (ESV) Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak 7/29
- 1 Corinthians 2:9 However, as it is written: “What no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived”—the things God has prepared for those who love him— 8/12
- Psalm 27:14 Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. 8/26
- 2 Corinthians 10:5 We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. 9/9
- Romans 5:3-5 Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;4 perseverance, character; and character, hope. 5 And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. 9/23
- Psalm 103:11-12 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. 10/7
- Psalm 45:10-11 Listen, daughter, and pay careful attention: Forget your people and your father’s house. Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Isaiah 2:2 Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem? 10/21
- Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. 11/4
- Ephesians 1:3 Praise the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! Through Christ, God has blessed us with every spiritual blessing that heaven has to offer. GW 11/25
- James 4:2b-3 You do not have because you do not ask God. When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures. 12/9
- Deuteronomy 31:8 The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. 12/23